Monday, January 29, 2007

question

Protagoras taught rhetoric and argumentation, which in ancient Greece comprised the education of a lawyer. Euathlus wished to learn these arts and asked Protagoras to teach him. He said he could not pay right away but promised to pay in full after he won his first case. Protagoras agreed, and taught Euathlus rhetoric and argumentation. Some accounts say Protagoras sued Euathlus for payment immediately upon the completion of the lessons; other accounts say he waited until it was evident that Euathlus was not taking on any cases. The case was heard in the court of Areopagus in Athens.

The judge asked Protagoras why he thought he had a claim against Euathlus. Protagoras argued, "I will either win this case or lose it. If I win it, then Euathlus must pay me, by the judgment of the court. If I lose it, then he must pay me, under our contract. So he must pay me either way."

The judge was impressed, and asked Euathlus to reply. Euathlus had learned his lessons well, and replied, "I too will either win this case or lose it. If I win it, then I need not pay Protagoras, by the judgment of the court. If I lose it, then I need not pay him, under our contract. So I need not pay him either way."

What would you decide if you are the judge?

a little something from my AS homework.. just to tease your brains a little. i still dont know the answer :( haha.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Protagoras to win the case (:

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home